Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Paris Holds the Key to Your Heart...

After driving around Paris, we ended up with about one hour for the grand tour of Notre Dame - not anywhere near enough time. We didn't have a tour guide so only a photo stop. Loving on the gargoyles, flying buttresses, and general atmosphere of the place. Need to also brush up on my architecture terms before my next European vacation.



The line to get in - present but moving slowly.
Statue in the square in front of the cathedral.



One of the darkest church we went in. Not as heavy on the tombs as the British ones we would tour. Loving the arches especially the cross-overs in the ceiling. Could have just sat and looked for hours. My common thread in the cathedrals was imagining how I would have felt as an impoverished, starving peasant centuries ago entering these cathedrals. I don't know that it would have inspired me toward God - I think it would have turned me the other way in making me mad at the church for demanding my money to build structures and not giving it back to His Church. Did feel slightly atheistic in these buildings I must admit. Felt more like a tourist, architect student... thank you God for these amazing buildings but... maybe different if I were Catholic...
The painting on the ceiling of one of the side chapels.


Guessing this is the famous rose window...




Cute...

Loving the gargoyles
The park behind the cathedral
I admit loving flying buttresses since Zacatecas in college



Greg back for his second time... I'm waiting on mine ;) Good start to the trip

No comments: