Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Officially Official!

So, I emailed and accepted the job this AM. I went and shadowed the head DR yesterday morning to make sure he was a good guy like I thought he was - and he was. Also spoke to one of the PAs who said it was his first job, the other PA's first, and one of the nurse practioners as well. Said it was a good place to start and that I would learn a lot. Made it sound like for the first couple of weeks I would take walk-ins only which would give me time to pretty much take as long as I need - to a point I'm sure : ) ...
Cool thing I did find out is that I'm assigned my own medical assistant (aka MA) - the person who does all the patient prep, weights, scheduling yadayada... And that she will go with me to Galveston on those days too. My little reliable buddy. The one who also lets me know about patients coming in and asks if I can take more - and I can say no if I'm behind or so... Meaning still get out at a reasonable time. I think the last patient time slot is 4:20 or so. Except for those times I have night clinic - probably once a week unless someone is sick/vacationing.
Did I mention I get to wear scrubs? I can dress up if I want... And a white coat (a long one!) to make me look like more than the high school student I appear to be. Good too cause I need pockets for all my tricks and papers and such.
I told them today my start date could be as early as June 1st - that's less than a month. But I have to get all the credentialling paperwork filled out and then it has to be processed and all. They said that might take a month so maybe starting later? Dunno. Gotta squeeze in baby time now that I know it's coming to an end...
I am sad about going to work but lets face it - this stay-at-home mom bit is a lot harder than going to work. At least it seems that way. Give those mommies a big hug!! I love being home I really do, but it can be pretty tiring. I would have loved to find a part time job, but if I had gotten one of those (if they were available) I'm afraid the learning curve would have stretched out for eternity - I have a lot to learn! Hopefully, maybe this way by the time the next one comes along, I might be more prepared knowledge and skill wise to have a part-time gig?
It is kind of a downer to spend all those years planning and preparing and having no life to prepare to be a PA only to sit at home and not get to be one... Finally, I get to do what I love doing... and now very excited to be able to do it at the type of clinic I always said I wanted to find to work at... with a schedule that allows me to still be a mommy and wife.
http://www.gchd.org/4cs/index.htm that's the clinic info if you want to nose...

Did I mention that when I made it clear that working was not my life (gutsy I know) to those at the clinic, they said I was at the right place? Answered prayers all around! Just praying I love it and fit in as well as it seems...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BOBBIE JEAN!
congratulations! im so excited for you, but im a little disappointed that you failed to post just even ONE picture of your precious child on here. i mean really--i thought we decided that you were gunna put at least one picture on each post.

by the way-i also noticed there was a lack of "tracy" or "best aunt ever" in your blog. lets work on that.

but other than that, i just love the blog. i just figured you would like some helpful criticism.

Anonymous said...

Bobbie, you are all grown up! :) Congratulations, the clinic sounds perfect - definitely an answer to prayers. I can't wait to hear all your oogie stories once you start!
-Kristin

Allison Horner said...

That's great to hear, Bobbie! I am glad you got this job. Sounds perfect for you! :)

Can't wait to hear all about it once you start. :)

Oh, and HAPPY EARLY MOTHER's DAY!!!